Tuesday, May 31

Allright,

I'm sure I'll get some people wondering what the big deals with the warnings was for this weeks strips. Yes, I dropped 2 F-bombs. Whoopity friggin do right.

I look at it this way...

Anywhere But Here is a sitcom. If week in and week out you present something that people are familiar with, something that they are comfortable with. They call ma and pa over, and the next thing you know you've got a naked Jim Beluchi analy raping Rosanne Barr on a Bible, well you're going to shock people.

At LEAST give them the warning to NOT tune in.

I don't USE excessive language in the strip. It's not NECESSARY to tell this story. Not that I'm opposed to it, good lord I use it all the time, but that for ME it's uncessary for this strip.

This week has been an exception to that.

I don't know how many of you have ever created characters. It's a truely unique experience. These characters, especially Chris in particular, have begun to have a life of their own. To me, it would have COMPLETLY CHEATED HER to water down her language. I tried numerous ways to approach it, and I came to the same conclusion. This chick is pissed, and she's had enough. Anything LESS then that would be her holding back, and Chris, in this frame of mind, DOES NOT HOLD BACK on ANYTHING.

Now some of you may be saying "GOOD. Why not drop MORE F-Bombs. Make it MORE edgy, more "real".

Anywhere But Here doesn't need it.

And there are all sorts who read this strip. Young and old. I think part of why I like writing this strip is I can write a story where I don't have to resort to swearing to get my point across.

Good lord I sound like a fucking prude don't I.

Some people use swearing to bring "realism" or "edgyness" to their work. More power to them.

Me, it's not necessary. The STORY is what I hope brings people to this work. The JOKES, the characters, the situations. I want THAT to be what pulls people in far more then anything "EDGY" and "HIP".

So this is my solution. If I'm going to resort to language that move this from a PG-13 strip to an R strip, I'm going to warn people. This is NOT going to be consistantly an R or a PG strip. It will deal with some mature themes, it will contain mature language from time to time. But for the most part it's going to be a PG-13 strip.

For those times that it IS rated R, I'll put a warning up in advance so those who MAY be offended can take it in stride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home